Wednesday 25 September 2013

IN TIMES LIKE THESE (Facing the Adversity of a Terror Attack)



As I pen this down, am sad, angry, my heart is heavy and I am at loss. I blog to inspire, educate and to pass information, but this week I am low on inspiration, the insights wouldn’t just flow. And how would I when our news is all about terrorists, hostages and sieges.

To us these word are too heavy, not that we are ignorant, but because they don’t belong here nor anywhere in this world. Mortality is one thing we humans do not know how to deal with. It is even more painful when we loose lives to indiscriminate shooting for minding our business, for spending time with family and friends, for choosing a Saturday morning/afternoon to run our errands or even hold business meetings.

So many questions run through my mind now, I love reading, writing and critiquing, but in this case ,,,.. I will never understand why a human being like me (come to think about it they are not like me) would shoot a baby, a pregnant woman, a mother with her children, a father, a person who is defenseless, a person who is not a war.

As a Kenyan, terrorist attacks, sieges and hostages are too foreign words /situations for us, feels too out of reach. Yes we have faced bad violence, tribal clashes, political wars, armed robberies, kidnaps, and recently grenade attacks, but terrorists, hostages and sieges…... These unfortunate occurrences are not the things we get used to.

It’s a story that have left me wondering, because I have no lessons to learn here, YES our security measures need to be upgraded but terrorism is plain evil. A terrorist has chosen the path of war and crime, fighting people who are in no war, I call it COWARDICE. Unfortunately security experts say that terror groups thrive on publicity, ridiculous I say (explains why they chose West-gate Mall, a high end market place).

I am a believer, my faith believes in heaven, purgatory and hell (a theologian would call them indulgences). For all those whose lives we lost, may their souls rest in peace, my prayers for the salvation of those who get to purgatory. For those of us who are here, may we be comforted; those traumatized to receive healing; for the terrorist and their masterminds, may the arm of law reach them.


AMAZING PEACE by Maya Angelou (http://worldunderstandingandpeace.com/2007/09/03/great-poem-on-peace-amazing-peace-by-maya-angelou/)


In our joy, we think we hear a whisper.
At first it is too soft.   Then only half heard.
We listen carefully as it gathers strength.
We hear a sweetness
The word is Peace.
It is loud now.
Louder than the explosion of bombs

We tremble at the sound.
We are thrilled by its presence.
It is what we have hungered for.
Not just the absence of war. But true Peace
A harmony of spirit, and comfort of courtesies
Security for our beloveds and their beloveds

We, Angels and Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers,
Look heavenward and speak the word aloud.
Peace.  We look at each other, then into ourselves,
And we say without shyness or apology or hesitation:

Peace, My Brother.
Peace, My Sister.
Peace, My Soul.

No comments: